Sometimes it is not convenient for an application to have access to our internet connection. However, we do not always have the option of disconnecting our entire computer from the network just to prevent said program from connecting to the Internet. For this reason, there are several options that They will help us to block the Internet access of an application on Windows.
Best of all, you don’t have to download anything and the process is pretty easy to follow. We will only need Windows Firewall and nothing else. This way, you can completely block internet access for any app you select during setup.
Although the Windows 10 and 11 firewall is not currently one of the most advanced, it is They have a few basic functions. it will be very useful to us today.
Block internet access of any Windows application
The first thing to do is to open Windows Firewall. If you have version 10 or 11, this feature is still in the Control Panel. To find it, follow these steps:
- Enter for Control Panel of Windows. You can do this by entering the search bar and typing the name of the tool.
- Once you open the Control Panel, look for the option Windows Defender Firewall.
- This will open a new screen for you. Focus on the option “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” in the left sidebar.
In this new window, you will see many other options, however, they will all be highlighted in gray, which means you cannot change them. To do this, simply press Modify the parameters, top right button. This action will allow you to modify the boxes of each app, which is important for this tutorial; although it will ask you to be an administrator of the account.
Here, the tutorial splits into two distinct paths:
- Block an app that appears in the list: This is in case you see the app you want to disable listed in Windows Firewall.
- Block an application that is not in the list: If, on the other hand, you do not see the application you want to block on the Internet, then you will have to go through another path.
Block an app that appears in the list
It is the simplest process. Once you click on the option Modify the parametersyou will be unlocked the possibility of change the boxes to the left of the names applications in Windows.
Just find the one you want to block. when you have it, uncheck the boxes private Yes public until leaving the application without options. This way, the program will no longer be able to connect to the Internet in any way until you turn them back on.
When you do, click Accept Yes the configuration will be saved until you decide to change it.
Block an application that does not appear in the list
If the application does not appear in the list, you will have to follow a slightly different pathHowever, it is not complicated at all.
- Click on the option Allow another application located at the bottom of the screen.
- A small window will open. Click on the button Examine.
- Find the executable of the application you want to block on the Internet. Of course, you will need to know where the installation folder is.
- When you find it, select the file then click on To open.
- Click on Add to confirm the selection.
The program should now appear in the list. In this way, you can now proceed to block the desired application from the Internet on your computer. To do this, just uncheck the boxes private Yes public. When you’re done, click Accept and you will be done.
I am Bhumi Shah, a highly skilled digital marketer with over 11 years of experience in digital marketing and content writing in the tech industry.