What you need to know to check messages on Instagram
- Instagram app: tap the icon of Messenger in the upper right corner. If you haven’t updated Instagram, you’ll see a paper plane icon.
- Send or reply to messages with text, emojis, photos, or videos. From the message screen, see if a message was opened.
- Instagram on desktop: Tap the icon of Messenger in the upper right corner. View and reply to messages.
This article explains how to access, read, and respond to your Instagram direct messages on the Instagram mobile app or from Instagram on the desktop.
Facebook has merged the messaging between Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp, so if your Instagram is updated to the new interface, you will use Messenger in your Instagram direct messaging.
The traditional way of checking messages in the Instagram app
Access your direct message inbox from the main Instagram screen,
You’ll see your current feed with posts from the people and businesses you follow.
If Facebook has not rolled out its new messaging app integration in your area, Here’s how to find and read your messages.
- Open the Instagram app on your iOS device or Android and sign in to your account or switch to the corresponding account. Tap the icon mail in the top right corner of the screen to go to your Instagram Direct inbox. If you have the most recent version of Instagram messages, you will see an icon similar to Facebook Messenger.
- A number appears on the mail icon in the top right corner when you open the app. The number represents how many unread messages you have.
- The messages in your inbox are listed from most to least recent. Unread messages have a blue dot. Use the field of search from the top to find a message of a specific user or to search for a keyword or a phrase.
- Instagram-Facebook Messenger
- To reply to a message with a photo or video, touch the Camera in the message box. A camera interface with options opens. Take a photo or video, then tap Send. I touched send to others to send the photo or video to other Instagram contacts.
- To send a quick reply photo or video without opening the conversation, tap the Camera to the right of each message that appears in your inbox.
- If you’re wondering if your recipient has seen your message, the message screen keeps you updated. You’ll see the status of a message on the inbox screen, including when it was viewed or sent if it hasn’t been opened yet.
- If you get a message from Instagram from someone you don’t follow, it appears as a request in your inbox instead of a conversation. You can reply without following the other user if you accept the request. If you decline the request, the other user will not be able to contact you again unless you follow them.
How to Check Messages on Instagram on Desktop?
You can also check your direct messages using Instagram in a web browser.
- Go to the official Instagram page and log in.
- Select the icon of the posts; It looks like a paper plane.
- Your conversations Current ones appear in the left pane. Click on a conversation to open it.
- Write a message in the message bar. If desired, select the smiley icon to add an emoji.
- Desktop Instagram doesn’t have many of the features of the Instagram app, like sending photos and videos in a direct message.
Instagram-Facebook Messenger integration
According to a report in TheVerge, in August 2020, Facebook began to implement its new messaging system, merging the messaging functionality of Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp with Messenger.
If your Instagram app is still using the old interface, you’ll see a paper plane-style direct messages icon instead of the Facebook Messenger logo.
This messaging integration is convenient for users, for example, allowing Instagram users to message Facebook users who aren’t even on Instagram.
I am Bhumi Shah, a highly skilled digital marketer with over 11 years of experience in digital marketing and content writing in the tech industry.