Who has never dreamed of preparing lentils like their holy grandmother did? What if it was easier than it looks? Maybe you too could prepare meals for a regiment with skill, cunning and culinary skill, but you don’t know it yet. You have to believe in its potential because, flavors aside, what is not so complicated is to prepare in advance for the whole week. That’s what we call “batch cooking”and in recent years there has been a real revolution in social networks by allowing to combine healthy and traditional food with the hectic pace of life that prevails in today’s society.
Cooking traditional stews to the touch of grandma It’s not a skill everyone can get, but it deserves years and years of practice. Yeah, let’s face it: getting your grandma’s touch in the kitchen is an equal challenge to beating Elden Ring without dying for a damn long time. The correct salt point, spices and cooking times are kept secret and passed down only to a select few from generation to generation. But come on, you can and more if it has an English name to describe something that’s been around for a lifetime. Cooking for a regiment and taking advantage of resources is nothing new. It’s been going on for years. Sorry, the batch cooking It exists since there are grandmothers.
Indeed, if your grandmother read this she would laugh aloud: she did batch cooking all his life. And you wasting time ICT Tac.
What is batch cooking?
As explained above, the term batch cooking It refers to a way of preparing food all at once. In fact, the word “groupmeans “lot” or “lot” in English. Usually one day of the week (which is usually Sunday) is used to cook in a few hours all the foods and dishes of the week.
Blast here, cone there…and There you go! With minimal effort, epic cooking combinations can be made that will save you time the rest of the week. The protagonists of batch cooking These are usually vegetables and roasted vegetables. It is enough to prepare a good dose of aubergines, courgettes or peppers in the oven to have excellent vegetable rations for the whole week. Other of celebrities from batch cooking are legumes. Lentils, chickpeas and beans cannot be missing, whether prepared as a traditional stew or as a cold salad.
We said the batch cooking requires little effort. Well, the only effort is to dedicate a few hours of your day to cooking, which is something not all humans are born to do. However, you don’t have to be a cooking champion to carry out a healthy diet. The imperative need to resort to great tricks on the ceramic hob to prepare a healthy dish is only in your imagination: the simplicity lies in the magic of this popular way of cooking at home.
In this direction, healthy processed foods isiten: they are not a myth. Canned vegetables and fish, frozen vegetables, vegetable pasta, fourth range (microwave) vegetables, nuts, dried mushrooms, dairy products such as cheese and yogurt, cold soups such as salmorejo and gazpacho or creams such as hummus and guacamole. In the middle of 2022, the range of options is too wide enough to ignore it, as opposed to the gloomy image we had in supermarkets just a decade ago, where the food supply was much lower.
How long does food last in the refrigerator?
Batch cooking is very good because it saves us time and money. because yes too it saves us a few euros by planning meals in advance. However, it is not advisable to get confused with aspects related to hygiene and food preservation. It’s good to plan and cook in advance, but let’s not forget that it is time limited.
Also, some foods like rice and pasta should not be kept in the refrigerator for more than 24 hours. This recommendation surely shocks you, but it is due to the possible presence of heat-resistant toxins in these cereal-based foods. What heat does not load toxins which can grow naturally in rice and pasta, it’s best not to overdo the shelf life just in case.
Rice and pasta are the two most delicate foods when it comes to storage, so if you’re going to use them in your batch cooking recipes, try not to rush the days with them too much. Remember: maximum 24 hours cold. For the rest, the rest of the food and preparations have different durations in the refrigerator. These times are generally shortened for more perishable foods such as meat and fish:
- Pieces of cooked meat (pork loin, rib steak, chicken breast): 3-4 days.
- Meat stews (lentils with chorizo, veal à la jardinera): 1-2 days.
- Cooked fish fillets (salmon, bass, tuna): 3-4 days.
- Raw egg preparations (mayonnaise): immediate consumption.
- Dishes cooked with eggs (omelettes, pancakes, deviled eggs): Three days.
- Stews without fish or meat (lentils, chickpeas or stewed beans): 3-4 days.
- Pasta and rice (macaroni with tomato, paella): 1 day.
By the way, you can also freeze your Tupperware batch cooking, of cours! But we’ll leave that for another day. Freezing food is a topic that deserves separate mention, as it contains more crumb than a village loaf. Of course, let’s be clear: cold does not immortalize food. Then yes, frozen foods spoil too.
How to properly store tupperware
Cook ahead with our batch cooking In particular, there is no point if we then bring the container to the office in any way, committing genuine food nonsense. As we told you in this text a few days ago, the proper storage of leftover food is crucial to avoid food poisoning. On the contrary, poses serious health risks. In this sense, it is convenient that we follow a series of basic precautions with our beloved Tupperware:
- Store in the refrigerator as soon as you arrive at work. Ideally, leftover food should not remain for more than 2 hours at room temperature. No question of leaving the tupperware with macaroni all morning in a drawer.
- Check if your container is Microwave safe or not. You will easily identify it by a symbol which generally appears on the back, representing a microwave. If not, do not heat it. You will damage the container and promote the transmission of potentially toxic compounds to food.
- Wash your cone with care and precaution for your next batch cooking. Don’t let poop invade your favorite container by leaving it in the sink overnight.
- By the way, also check using the appropriate symbol if your container is dishwasher safe. If this is not the case and you insert it, you will promote its deterioration.
- Such plastic like glass They are suitable materials to store your food. Of course, consider the pros and cons of each.
- Plastic containers are easily adaptable and they weigh little, but they can be damaged more easily. On the other hand, glass containers are very easy to clean, but they weigh more and risk to inattentive pause.