How to organize photos on your iPhone? Taking photos with your iPhone couldn’t be easier. But organizing those photos isn’t that much fun. Fortunately, it may not be as difficult as it seems.
Just because your photo library is huge doesn’t mean organizing it will be such a big task. Read on for the simple steps to efficiently organize photos on your iPhone.
How to Organize Photos on your iPhone?
How to Organize Photos on your iPhone?
Step 1. Clean up iPhone photos before organizing them
All photo libraries are full of clutter, so before you spend a ton of time sifting through that clutter, you need to eliminate the junk you don’t want. And the good news is you can use Gemini Photos to scan your photos and quickly eliminate that clutter. The app looks for duplicates, screenshots, notes, blurry images, and similar photos.
Download Gemini Photos from the App Store, open it on your iPhone, and follow these steps to clean up your library.
Similar Looking Images
- Tap Similar. Your images will be grouped by Date or Event.
- Click on a grouping. Gemini will automatically select the best images.
- Review the selection and tap Move to Trash for each set.
- When you’re done, tap Empty Trash and Delete to confirm.
- Tap Duplicates. Gemini Photos will find all the duplicate photos on your iPhone.
- Tap each set of duplicates to review them.
- Once you’ve reviewed them, tap Remove Duplicates at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
- Tap Videos. Gemini Photos will show you all the videos in your library with how much space they are taking up.
- Swipe up on a video to keep it, or swipe down to delete it.
- Tap Empty Trash at the bottom.
- Tap Screenshots. Gemini Photos will automatically select all your screenshots.
- Touch to uncheck the ones you want to keep.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap Delete all and then Delete.
- Tap Notes. The app will scan your photos for whiteboard or notebook images and group them together.
- Touch to mark the photos you want to get rid of.
- At the bottom, tap Delete all when you’re done.
- Tap Blurred to review all the photos that Gemini Photos found to be blurry.
- Select the images you do not want to keep.
- Tap Delete all and then tap Delete to confirm.
- Touch Other to review images that do not fit into the above categories. Your images will be grouped by date.
- Play one of the months.
- Swipe up on an image to keep it, or swipe down to delete the photo.
- Once you’ve reviewed these images, tap Empty Trash at the bottom.
When cleaning up your library, don’t forget to open your Photos app and tap Albums > Recently Deleted > Select > Delete All to remove those pictures from your iPhone. Otherwise, they will remain on your device and take up space for the next 30 days.
Step 2. Delete iPhone photo albums that you don’t need
When you go into the Album tab on your iPhone’s Photos app, you may notice some old albums you don’t want anymore or even some albums created by other apps (like Whatsapp or Snapchat). If you’re not using these albums, it’s best to get rid of them, so they don’t clutter up your phone and make it hard to find the albums you want to use.
How to delete an album on iPhone?
Deleting an album is easy to do right on your iPhone. Just follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app and tap Albums at the bottom.
- At the top, next to My Albums, tap See All.
- Tap Edit.
- Tap the red minus button next to the albums you want to delete.
- When you’re done, tap Done.
How do I delete the Favorites album?
Unfortunately, there is no way to remove your album from Favorites. This is one of the archive albums that the Photos app automatically creates, and like the Recent album, Favorites can’t be moved, renamed, or deleted.
Does deleting a photo album delete the photos it contains?
The quick answer is no. Deleting an album only deletes the album, not the images it contains. If you also want to remove the images, you can follow these steps:
- In Photos, open the album.
- Tap Select > Select All.
- Tap the trash can icon in the bottom right corner.
Now, you can delete the album following the steps mentioned in the previous section.
Step 3. Put photos in a hidden album on iPhone (optional)
If you have confidential or private photos that you want to keep, but you don’t necessarily want them on your Camera Roll, one option is to hide the images. You can also create a hidden album where all your hidden photos will live.
How to create a hidden album on iPhone?
Your hidden album will only appear if you have chosen to hide an image. This is how you would hide a photo:
- In the Photos app, find the image you want to hide and tap on it.
- Tap the Share icon at the bottom right.
- Scroll down and tap Hide.
How to add new photos to the hidden album?
After hiding a photo, a hidden album will be created, and you can add more images. Just follow these steps to add new images to your album.
- Tap the Library tab at the bottom of the Photos app.
- Touch Select and touch each image you want to add.
- Tap the Share icon in the bottom right corner and then tap Hide.
Where to find the Hidden Album?
With iOS 14, Apple has made the Hidden album more hidden. Before you can find the Hidden album in the Albums tab, you need to enable it first.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Photos.
- Switch to Enable Hidden.
Now, you can go back to the Photos app and touch Albums > Hidden to see all your sharp images.
Step 4. Organize your photos into relevant albums
If you have thousands of photos in your library, scrolling through the Camera Roll may not be the most efficient way to find them. Organizing them into albums helps you find the photos you’re looking for much faster.
How to add photos to the Favorites album?
This is how you add a photo to your Favorites album:
- Find the image you want to add in the Photos app.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the heart icon to fill it up.
And that’s all there is to mark an image as one of your favorites.
How to create photo albums classified by location?
The Photos app also makes it very easy to create an album based on the location of the photo. Follow these steps:
- Tap the Search tab at the bottom of the Photos app.
- In the search bar, type a location.
- Tap See all > Select.
- Touch to select all the images you want to add to an album.
- Tap the Share icon > Add to album > New album.
- Give your album a name and press Save.
If you want to add more images to an album based on your location, you can repeat steps 1-5, but instead of tapping New Album, tap the existing album.
How to create iPhone photo albums classified by theme?
The search function in Photos also works for themes, so you can organize all your trips to the beach or all the photos you’ve taken of cool classic cars. Here’s how to create an album based on the theme of your images:
- At the bottom of the Photos app, tap Search.
- In the search bar, type a subject like “beach.”
- Tap See all > Select.
- Select all the photos you want to put in an album.
- At the bottom, tap the Share icon > Add to Album > New Album.
- Give the album a name, and then tap Save.
How to create photo albums categorized by people?
One of the most impressive features of the Photos app is facial recognition. Scan your photos and try to identify all the people in your photos. So if you wanted to create an album based on a specific person, this is how you would do it:
- Tap the Albums tab at the bottom of the Photos app.
- Scroll down to the People & Places section and tap People. Next, select a person.
- Tap Select and choose all the images you want to add to your album.
- Tap the Share icon > Add to album > New album…
- Give your album a name and tap Save.
If you just want to tag a person that Photos has detected in your images, simply do the following:
- Under Photos, tap Albums
- Scroll to People & Places and tap People.
- Select the person you want to tag.
- At the top, tap Add name.
- Type the person’s name and tap Next.
- Photos will show you other images with that person in them. Select as many as necessary and tap Done.
The more photos you review and tag that person, the better the Photos app is at tagging them in the future.
How to rename a photo album on iPhone?
Maybe you’ve created an album, but now the name doesn’t make sense anymore. Or maybe you just realized there’s a typo in your album name. Don’t worry. You can always rename your albums by following these steps:
- In the Photos app, tap the Albums tab.
- Touch to open the album you want to rename.
- Tap the ellipsis icon and select Rename album.
- Type the name of your new album and press Save.
The Photos app for iOS is an excellent tool for managing images and can be incredibly useful when your library is organized. With features like the search tool and facial recognition, there’s no reason why you can’t find the specific image you’re looking for in seconds. Hopefully, this article has alleviated some of the anxiety that might have kept you from diving in to clean up and organize your photo library.
I am Bhumi Shah, a highly skilled digital marketer with over 11 years of experience in digital marketing and content writing in the tech industry.