Today I would like to touch on the issue of connecting a computer to a wireless network … (in particular, this applies to cases where the current network is “buggy” or there is no Wi-Fi icon in the Windows tray, and the following questions: “what to do, where to click?”; “should I buy an adapter/adaptor/antenna?”; “how to install it?”, etc., etc.).
I will try to give a short and simple answer to all these questions (by the way, I will immediately give a small advice: before ordering some would not have adapters (even if you don’t have a built-in function) – read the note to the end!).
📌 To note: the first thing I recommend is to make sure you have working the Wi-Fi network itself (within the radius of the “problem” computer) and you can connect to it from another laptop / phone / PC / TV.
How to connect to a Wi-Fi network – see here: https://ocomp.info/kak-vklyuchit-wi-fi-na-noutbuke.html
The content of the article
External Wireless Adapter Questions
How to tell if your computer has a built-in Wi-Fi adapter
If you have a laptop – then almost all modern devices have a built-in Wi-Fi adapter! Another thing is that it might become unusable and therefore will not show up in Windows in any way.
If the classic PC – in most cases there is no built-in Wi-Fi adapter in the budget and mid-price segment (with the exception of some motherboards).
At allif the adapter is working and detected, you can see it in the 📌 device manager (to open it in Windows 10/11 – right click on the start menu). In the tab “network adapters” you need to find the device whose name contains: “Wireless; Wi-Fi; 802.11”. See example below. 👇
Besidesif the Wi-Fi adapter driver has not been installed – you may be able to “find” it in the tab “Other Devices”. In this case, try using the 📌spec. driver update utilities.
If there is no adapter on the computer, then one of the easiest options to solve the problem will be to buy an external wireless adapter (📌 see the next part of the article).
In other cases – several. links to help you. 👇
📌 To help!
1) Does your computer/laptop have a wireless Wi-Fi adapter? How to check it: https://ocomp.info/est-li-na-pc-adapter-wi-fi.html
2) How to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop and connect to the network: https://ocomp.info/kak-vklyuchit-wi-fi-na-noutbuke.html
3) How to install, update or uninstall the Wi-Fi driver (wireless network adapter): https://ocomp.info/kak-ustanovit-drayver-na-adapter-wi-fi.html
If you buy – what type of adapter do you need
📌To note: the following Wi-Fi adapters can be quickly found 📌 in the dew. online stores (1-5-6 days delivery to most cities in our country!).
At all, I will cite several. adapters (and their characteristics):
- in the form of mini USB keys (1, see screenshot below 👇) – such an adapter can be connected to any USB port (whether it is an ultrabook or a classic PC system unit). Due to their compact size, they practically do not interfere and do not stand out. Choose this type of adapter is subject to the condition that the device is in the same room as the Wi-Fi router (i.e. signal source). Behind two walls – it hangs badly (or doesn’t hang at all…)!
- USB adapters with add. external antennas (3 👇) – this type of adapter picks up a signal much better than the previous one (however, due to its large dimensions, it is not always convenient to use it). If the adapter is purchased for a PC – a good option!
- PCIe WiFi adapters (2 👇) – a device connected to the treadmill. PC board. Typically, these adapters provide a more stable connection (especially if the router is in the next room). Pay attention to the power of the antennas!
A few other things to pay attention to:
- frequency: 2.4 or 5Ghz. As a rule, modern Wi-Fi adapters can work on both one and the second frequency (📌 how to know if the adapter supports 5 Ghz). 5 Ghz offers higher throughput and it is better to choose it;
- driver availability: the fact is that Windows does not automatically install drivers for some “no-name” Chinese adapters, and only a CD-ROM may be included with the device (and then, if you’re lucky…). A long search is not excluded, and even the impossibility of installing on your version of Windows!
How to configure an external adapter, where to get the driver
As an example, I will take a typical Wi-Fi adapter from TP-Link (TL-WN725N). An example is in the photo below. 👇
Step by step:
- turn on the PC / laptop and wait for Windows to load (10/11);
- then we connect the router to a working USB port (this is highly desirable: do not use adapters, extension cords, etc.);
- then Windows should install the driver automatically. If that didn’t happen (and no tray icon appeared) – then you have to open 📌 device manager and try 📌 install it manually (👉 Besides, try going to “My Computer” and see if any removable devices (flash drives) show up there. If so, open it and install the driver (Remark: for some adapters this is how the driver is installed));
- open windows settings, go to the tab “Network and Internet”and make sure Wi-Fi is on!
- then click on the Wi-Fi icon in the Windows tray, select the adapter and connect to one of the wireless networks 👇 (if there is no wireless network icon in the status bar, you can also connect to the network 📌 using the command line! ).
Why the connection may not be stable, often breaks, the speed is low
first of all, pay attention to the distance of your laptop (computer) from the access point (Wi-Fi router). The greater the distance and the more obstacles between them (walls, doors, mirrors, etc.) – the worse the quality of communication. I recommend trying to reduce the distance between them (at least temporarily, as a diagnosis // of course, if possible).
📌 To help!
How to Strengthen the Signal of a Wi-Fi Network (Increase Wi-Fi Range)
Secondlyif you are using a mini Wi-Fi adapter (without external antennae) and the access point is far away, the connection quality may be poor (devices with stronger antennas provide a better connection!).
In general, for diagnostics, I would recommend having a pair of external (spare) adapters and checking the stability of the computer with each of them (in turn). Fortunately, they are inexpensive, and in work they constantly help!
Thirdly, (if we are talking about low bandwidth), – pay attention to the characteristics of the Wi-Fi adapter (and of the router/access point) – for example: 150 Mbps does not mean torrent download speed in 150 MB/s (📌MB/s And Mbps are different sizes!
Fourthpay attention to the behavior of other devices (computers) connected to the same access point: if they have connection cuts, if the Internet is still available on them while yours is not.
The fact is that the reason may not be a Wi-Fi adapter, but a malfunction of the access point (Wi-Fi router). For more information on how you can try to resolve this issue, see the article at the link below.
📌 To help!
Internet is cut through the Wi-Fi router (why the Wi-Fi network drops or disappears) – https://ocomp.info/obryivaetsya-wi-fi.html
Additions on the subject – will always be useful! Leave them below in the comments.
I have everything on the SIM card so far, success!
Excellent software to create your first videos (all steps are step by step!).
The video will make even a beginner!
A program for cleaning Windows from “garbage” (deletes temporary files, speeds up the system, optimizes the registry).