iOS 16 Features that Won’t be Available on Older iPhones. Apple has always been famous for the long support of its devices. New firmware for iPhone out for at least five or six years. But with each new major OS update, Cupertino adds fewer and fewer new features to its older devices. The meaning of such updates without major innovations is not clear to many users. But the speed of propagation latest versions of iOS continues to set records.
With the release of iOS 16, the situation turned out to be the same. Owners of the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, released in 2017, will get a new version of the operating system, but many of the new features worth installing won’t work on those devices. Let’s see what features Apple deprived owners of old iPhones.
iOS 16 Features that Won’t be Available on Older iPhones – Supported Devices
This year, Apple is ending iPhone 6s support, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone SE 1st generation. iOS 16 will not be available for these devices. A full list of smartphones that support iOS 16 we gave in a separate article.
Many features that appeared in the new version of the operating system will only be available for devices with an A12 chip or newer. The power of old processors is not sufficient for the following features:
- live text in the video. The iPhone will now be able to recognize the text of the video, copy it, paste it, search it or translate it. This feature is available in all apps adapted for iOS 16.
- rapid response and new languages in Live Text. Since Live Text itself is only available on devices with A12 since iOS 15, no innovation for it will be supported by older devices.
- Emoji dictation. The new operating system has the ability to insert emojis using your voice while dictating text, simply saying which emoticon you want to add. Unfortunately, this function does not work in Russian. Only English, French, German, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish are supported.
- Discover the features of the application with Siri. It is now possible to ask Siri what can be done in a particular app. It is also not yet available in Russian.
- New dictation. In iOS 16, you can access the keyboard and enter text manually without stopping dictating.
- Astronomical wallpaper.
- Tap to pay. The ability to use a smartphone as a terminal to receive contactless payments.
- Using your iPhone’s camera in the Health app, you can medicine scanner you are taking and find out their dosage, all the indications, and contraindications.
These functions require more processing power than can be provided. A11 processor. Therefore, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X did not receive them.
But even iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR are not without limits. Function Live captions – auto-generated subtitles for any audio track will not be available on these smartphones. But for Russia, this possibility is not relevant, since the Russian language is not supported.
iOS 16 on iPhone 13
What is surprising in this situation is that only the iPhone 13 line received exclusive camera features. They have not been added to any other series of smartphones.
All iPhone 13s now have the ability to blur the foreground in Portrait mode photos with the ability to adjust the depth effect. Cinematic Effect mode has become more accurate in detecting facial contours, hair tips, and eyeglass edges.
Well, one of the most anticipated features was the ability to face identification work in horizontal mode. As you guessed, only for iPhone 13 series.
It is very strange that the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max did not receive new features for portrait shooting and horizontal Face ID, because its processor power should be enough for the eyes. Most likely, Apple’s so-called greed played a role here. After all, users have to be pushed to update their smartphones.
Looking at the features that older devices didn’t have, on the one hand, it looks like Apple didn’t deprive older models of anything really important. I’m glad that all devices that will be updated to the new OS have received new lock screen customization options.
The main thing is that iOS 16 is not buggy. Users will appreciate this fact much more than some imaginary innovations.
I am Bhumi Shah, a highly skilled digital marketer with over 11 years of experience in digital marketing and content writing in the tech industry.