Those of us who watched the broadcast of the ninety-second gala during which they delivered the oscars at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles on February 9, 2020, it’s hard to forget the excited face of the South Korean director bong joon-ho looking at one of the statuettes he had received for parasiteshis seventh feature film and big winner of the Hollywood night with four golden bats in his pocket.
It had already won the Golden Globe for best foreign film, two other BAFTAs and Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival, unanimously granted and to which another proposal from the director, Okayhad already been nominated and, thanks to The host Yes mother, to other awards of the same. But the Kim family’s history at the Park home was overwhelming for its 308 total awards.
“It doesn’t matter where you work. I can’t make a movie without 100% creative control. and the final edit,” says Bong Joon-ho with a strong sense of cinematic authorship. “If there is such a guarantee, I can work anywhere.” But always “with the express purpose of surprising the viewer”. If Alfred Hitchcock raised his head, I would like to shake his hand.
The opinion of specialized critics on the work of Bong Joon-ho
It’s him ranking of Bong Joon-ho’s films according to the information consulted in the field of rotten tomatoes for reviews:
- parasites (2019): average score of 9.4 out of 10 in 466 reviews.
- Memories of Murder : half of 8.2 in 79 reviews.
- Snowbreaker (snowdrop) : half of 8.1 in 261 reviews.
- Barking dog, little biter (2000): average of 8 in 16 reviews.
- mother (2009): average of 7.9 in 118 reviews.
- The host (2006): average of 7.7 in 155 reviews.
- Okay (2017): average of 7.6 in 241 reviews.
Rotten Tomatoes Movie Fan Reviews
Anonymous users who vote on rotten tomatoes They leave us this result of Bong Joon-ho:
- parasites: average score of 4.5 out of 5 with over 5,000 votes.
- Memories of Murder: half of 4.3 with over 10,000 votes.
- mother: half of 4.1 with over 10,000 votes.
- Okay: half of 3.9 with over 10,000 votes.
- Barking dog, little biter: half of 3.7 with over 1,000 votes.
- Snowbreaker (snowdrop): half of 3.7 with over 50,000 votes.
- The host: half of 3.7 with over 100,000 votes.
IMDb Moviegoers Reviews of Bong Joon-ho’s Cinema
On the other hand, here are the figures that he gives us IMDb on what audiences think of Bong Joon-ho’s films:
- parasites: average score of 8.5 out of 10 with 739,175 votes.
- Memories of Murder: half of 8.1 with 172,254 votes.
- mother: half of 7.8 with 61,934 votes.
- Okay: half of 7.3 with 117,914 votes.
- Snowbreaker (snowdrop): half of 7.1 with 352,751 votes.
- The host: half of 7.1 with 118,713 votes.
- Barking dog, little biter: half of 6.9 with 8,193 votes.
What FilmAffinity moviegoers say
And finally, here is the information about Bong Joon-ho that he gives us FilmAffinity:
- parasites: average score of 8 out of 10 with 57,831 votes.
- Memories of Murder: half of 7.6 with 22,102 votes.
- mother: half of 7.2 with 8,258 votes.
- Okay: half of 6.6 with 17,713 votes.
- Barking dog, little biter: half of 6.5 with 948 votes.
- Snowbreaker (snowdrop): half of 6.4 with 27,772 votes.
- The host: half of 6 with 31,969 votes.
Conclusions on the best and worst of Bong Joon-ho
With the impressive international recognition he enjoyed at the time, it may not surprise us in the least that the choice of parasites like Bong Joon-ho’s best movie let’s be unanimous from the data we’ve collected: the specialist critics and moviegoers who have quantified their viewing experiences on Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and FilmAffinity chose it as such. With memories of murder in second place.
However, when it comes to worse of the filmmaker born in South Korea, it is not the same. Professional analysts point out Okay in this sense, Rotten Tomatoes and FilmAffinity voters prefer The host and those of IMDb, meanwhile, Barking dog, little biter. But we must specify this: none of these feature films fails for critics and the public.