Until not so long ago, Joss Whedon (born 1964) was best known for his television series. Especially thanks to buffy the vampire slayer (1997-2003), Firefly (2002-2003) and Agents of SHIELD (2013-2020), but his people are also the spin off Since the first, Angel (1999-2004), starring David Boreanaz and Cordelia Chase as Charisma Carpenter; Yes Dr. Horrible Blog (2008), doll house (2009-2010) and Nevers (since 2021).
However, the New York filmmaker started as a screenwriter from roseane (1988-2018), and he owns the script for the film directed by Fran Rubel Kuzui (1992) on which the series on Buffy Summers by Sarah Michelle Gellar is based, part of the toy story (1995), for which he received his only Oscar nomination, for Alien: Resurrection (1997), that of Titan AE (2000) six hands, the one with The cabin in the woods (2011) with Drew Goddard and the In your eyes (2014).
Additionally, he wrote the the five feature films he has directed; and comics from buffy the vampire slayer, Angel, serenity Yes Dr. Horrible Blogfor which he won an Emmy, and others from Marvel on the X-Men, Spider-Man and Runaways and of Batman with Superman. His creative future remains unclear, however, after accusations of workplace harassment were leveled against him by performers Ray Fisher, Gal Gadot and Charisma Carpenter between July 2020 and February 2021.
The opinion of specialized critics on the directorial work of Joss Whedon
The figures given in the section of rotten tomatoes for critics, these are the following in terms of Joss Whedon films, ranking them from best to worst:
- The Avengers (2012): average score of 8.1 out of 10 in 363 reviews.
- A lot of noise for nothing (2012): average of 7.6 in 176 reviews.
- serenity (2005): average of 7.2 in 187 reviews.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015): average of 6.8 in 376 reviews.
- Justice League (2017): average of 5.3 in 408 reviews.
Rotten Tomatoes Movie Fan Reviews
We come back to rotten tomatoesbut this time for the first ranking of Joss Whedon films voted by its users:
- The Avengers: average score of 4.4 out of 5 with more than 250,000 votes.
- serenity: half of 4.3 with more than 250,000 votes.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: half of 4 with more than 250,000 votes.
- A lot of noise for nothing: half of 3.8 with more than 25,000 votes.
- Justice League: half of 3.7 with over 100,000 votes.
Reviews of IMDb moviegoers
On the other hand, these are the data that you also provide to us IMDb on public opinion:
- The Avengers: average score of 8 out of 10 with 1,351,354 votes.
- serenity: half of 7.8 with 293,609 votes.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: half of 7.3 with 829,865 votes.
- A lot of noise for nothing: half of 7 with 16,637 votes.
- Justice League: half of 6.1 with 440,900 votes.
What FilmAffinity moviegoers say
And, finally, we have here the information that he offers us FilmAffinity:
- The Avengers: average score of 6.9 out of 10 with 80,428 votes.
- serenity: half of 6.3 with 17,272 votes.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron: half of 6.3 with 45,829 votes.
- A lot of noise for nothing: half of 6.1 with 1,485 votes.
- Justice League: half of 5.3 with 23,077 votes.
Conclusions on the best and worst of Joss Whedon
Perhaps the fact that Joss Whedon has been behind the camera a few times, for only five films, makes it easier to We find no fundamental difference in the rankings specialist critics and moviegoers who vote on the internet. But, when it comes to other directors with the same number on their resumes, like fellow filmmakers James Gunn or Mel Gibson, that’s not the case.
In any case, we come across absolute unanimity on the hard data from Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb and FilmAffinity and, for both professional analysts and viewers on the three platforms, Joss Whedon’s best movie is the one where he brought together five Marvel superheroes against an alien invasion commanded by Tom Hiddleston’s Loki in The Avengers.
Moreover, for all, as worse no others can be reported Justice League. Although he is not credited on IMDb as a director, the truth is that most of the pictures are his. The original maintainer was Zack Snyder, who was unable to continue due to the suicide of his daughter Autumn and in 2021 he released his own version. Joss Whedon was screenwriter and Warner Bros. took hold of him.