How fast everything is changing in the world after all… It seems that 2-3 months ago it was impossible to imagine that studies and work for many of us would massively shift to online mode (and after that, the demand for mail programs will also increase …).
In general, I recently received a lot of questions on this topic and decided to take a few notes on video call programs (the most relevant today are marked with a special icon, see below 👇).
1) all the software below can be installed both on a phone and on a PC (which allows for universal communication);
2) if you need to call directly from a computer to a phone (fixed and mobile numbers), I recommend that you familiarize yourself with this.
Please note that in Windows 10/11, you need to go to the operating system settings (combination win + i) and in the section “Confidentiality” allow access to the microphone and the camera to the program through which you wish to communicate!
The content of the article
Top 10 communication programs on the Internet
Skype (universal solution 👍)
Official website: https://www.skype.com/fr/
One of the most famous and widespread instant messengers in the world! Allows you to exchange not only simple text messages, but also to organize audio and video conferences (up to 10 people).
- video calls have no limits on talk time;
- the ability to share your screen;
- the ability to transfer files: photos, archives, documents, etc. ;
- the ability to make calls to mobile and landline phones (for a small supplement per month);
- the program works on all popular operating systems: Windows, Android, Mac OS X, Linux, etc. ;
- less: Skype is quite greedy in PC resources (it can slow down on weak machines!).
Besides, I got some helpful instructions on the Skype blog on setup and troubleshooting typical issues. If something is not working for you, I recommend 👇…
👉 To help!
1) If you have Device not found in Skype: camera, microphone, speakers.
2) How Remove ads from Skype.
3) What iffailed to establish a connection.
Official website: https://www.whatsapp.com/download/
Another very popular messenger that gained fame on smartphones and then migrated to PC. The application has features similar to Skype: video and audio calls, chats, conferences, etc.
- free audio and video calls (only your Internet traffic is charged);
- the possibility of creating groups of up to 256 people. (it’s mega-convenient to send the same message, photo, video to everyone at once);
- simple and fast file exchange (up to 100 MB);
- the program implements end-to-end encryption to ensure privacy of conversations.
- lessNote: When sending high quality audio and video content, the quality may decrease.
Viber (for chats with a large number of participants 👍)
Official website: https://www.viber.com/en/
Direct competitor of Skype and WhatsApp. In terms of functionality, it is almost similar to them, however, one can distinguish a “chat” focus: the Viber collection has a lot of different images (emoji, emoticons, etc.) on a variety of topics.
- the possibility of audio and video calls in HD quality (for the latter, Viber must be installed at least version 5.0);
- the ability to create groups and communities (almost without restrictions);
- convenient synchronization between your devices: computer, phone, etc. (wherever you’ve corresponded before – you’ll still see the entire history and all messages…);
- a large number of stickers and emojis (including GIFs): you can always quickly and easily congratulate your interlocutor on any holiday, convey feelings and mood;
- the ability to easily delete previously written messages in the chat.
- a lot of advertising mailings and spam;
- the program actively monitors your location…
Zoom (for online courses and conferences 👍)
Official website: https://zoom.us/
How to Set Up and Use – Zoom Training [инструкция по шагам]
This program is yavl. one of the best solutions for online courses and videoconferencing (despite all the extra options). Thanks to the specification. online board, you can draw everything visually and show it on the screen, and add all participants to different subgroups (like classes at school…). 👌
- You can invite up to 50 people to be active participants in the video conference. (* with each person added to the chat – the load on the Internet connection increases);
- free conference time 40 min. (just one hour lesson!);
- there is an online board where you can show/draw something (very handy for learning);
- the possibility of recording the conference;
- there is a screen sharing option;
- the ability to install on most modern smartphones and PCs.
Official website: https://duo.google.com/intl/en/about/
This service is a video chat to which users can connect simultaneously from different devices: PCs, phones, smart screens, etc.
- video chat simultaneously with 12 private traders;
- the Google Duo application is pre-installed on many smartphones;
- PC users don’t need to install anything – there’s a web version;
- integrated “Tik-Tuk” function – you will see the caller even before the conversation starts;
- it is possible to send video messages;
- the service uses end-to-end encryption to securely protect sensitive data.
Official website: https://www.wechat.com/en/
An application from Chinese developers, a kind of analogue of WhatsApp (by the way, it is very popular in China). Allows text, audio and video information to be exchanged between PC and smartphone (Windows, Android, iPhone) users.
- free video calls worldwide (between different platforms and devices);
- the ability to quickly send your location;
- file transfer (photos, videos, documents);
- the ability to create group chats (rooms);
- a fairly large number of stickers and icons: you can always convey your mood, attitude to the problem or congratulate someone;
- integrated functions for those who want to get to know each other (the application will not only suggest potential candidates for dating, but also indicate their approximate location).
Official website: https://discordapp.com/
In general, this program is more suitable for informal communication on the net (the so-called group discussions on a variety of topics).
However, recently the program is in demand for voice and video communication. Supported platforms: Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS.
- creation of rooms with various rights for participants;
- the possibility of voice and video communication both “one-to-one” and in conference mode;
- the possibility of inviting in the rooms only by “invites” (special encrypted links – i.e. there will be no strangers in the room);
- the ability to share your screen;
- rate messages in chats;
- a wide variety of icons to facilitate communication in chats.
The above, of course, is far, far from a complete list of all of Discord’s features and options…
Free service from our giant in the computer industry… Ideal for video calls to a small audience (up to 40 people).
There is built-in chat, screen sharing, conversation recording. You can also schedule a conversation (meeting) for a specific time.
For Android, iOS, Windows – there are separate apps.
Video calls (Mail.ru)
Free and simple call service from Mail.ru. Registration is not required to attend the conference.
Distinctive features: up to 100 participants, works without installing apps, participation by link, no time limit, chat, screen sharing, calendar integration (if you are registered on Mail.ru).
Russian product for conferences and webinars. The service is different in that it offers quite high. quality: Ultra HD (4K)!
The number of participants can be quite large: up to 10 speakers, and up to 20,000 listeners (in the paid version).
I note that the service imind.ru are used by many of our universities, state. establishments.
That’s it for the sim today. Additions on the topic – always by the way!
First publication: 20.04.2020
Excellent software to create your first videos (all steps are step by step!).
The video will make even a beginner!
A program for cleaning Windows from “garbage” (deletes temporary files, speeds up the system, optimizes the registry).